Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 9: In Interlaken

Today is my mama’s birthday, calculating the time difference I decide it’s time to call home. Right after an awesome European breakfast, I made the call. Mama and Papa were so excited that I was in Switzerland. It was Sunday, we were really low on cash and no forex centres were open, plus our day trips across Italy left us dead tired. We decided to chill in Interlaken instead. Our initial plan involved making a day trip to Austria but we had absolutely no energy and no money.
So we decided to walk about. Found a supermarket and bought groceries. It was a way cheaper option than dining out. Tan took the day to do her laundry and while she was at it, I went about exploring Interlaken. Such a small place, but so beautiful. I followed a trail from our hotel, adjacent the railway station and followed it till it opened out to the lake. On my walk I passed pastures, beautiful homes with amazing gardens and little gnomes, a dam and snow covered mountains. 

After a while I decided to sit by the stream and do nothing. I don’t know for how long I sat, but I got my much needed Jolene time. I took out my sandwich and soon some ducks, swans and geese came by. Just for the occasional train passing by, the rest of time it was so serene. I could only think what an amazing watercolour painting the scene would make.

Now let me tell you a little bit about this amazing place. Interlaken, they say is a backpackers haven. I couldn't agree more. The place is so small that most of Interlaken lies between the two train stations of Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost. The main shopping street is just a walk of 20 minutes and runs between the stations.And the name Interlaken comes as it is located between Lake Brienz to the east and Lake Thun to the west. This came to me in a blindly flash as we were journeying down Mount Jungfrau.  

Finally I met up with Tan and we went back to the hotel. After that we went to savour the local cuisine, and not save our money eating only sandwiches. After all it was my Mama’s birthday and I needed a treat! Ordered for some sumptuous prawns which were supposed to be spicy. And then in the middle of the night we decided it was time for a stroll. At night it was a different story. All places light up and sounds of music drifting by. After freezing our butts off it was time to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment